Tuesday, January 23, 2007

flying shovel



I absolutely hate groundbreakings. They rarely make for decent photos. Most of the time its the standard guy at the microphone and then all the dignitaries grab gold painted shovels and act like they are digging the foundation for blah blah blah building. It is a huge challenge to try to come up with something different. Today was one of those days. Groundbreaking for a new aquatics center in Chapel Hill. It was cold out and the main speaker was late. I tried a couple of different angles, but didn't have much to speak of until this photo happened. Of course my creativity isn't what makes this an interesting photo. In my 20 years as a photojournalist, I have never seen this happen before. Nice end to a pretty boring assignment. (Photo by Mark Dolejs / The Herald-Sun)

No comments: